DCC exists to empower a movement of passionate Jesus followers…
…with the intention to see God’s heart displayed in our homes, in our communities, and in the nations in order to realize His plan and purpose: that people are transformed, living in community with one another, growing in faith and the knowledge of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Organized in August of 2012, DCC is a group of Jesus followers meeting downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. Many of the folks that gather with DCC are from different “streams” of Christianity and, as such, we are philosophically diverse as well as offering a multi-generational environment promoting community growth in Christ. We are not officially attached to any other group or denomination, though we are very intentional about being an active part of the Church of Jesus Christ at large (both regionally and globally). Outside of our main gathering on Sunday mornings, we purpose to live in community together, building and maintaining relationships, gathering together at various time and locations, and supporting one another as we are able. Additionally, we are globally focused, participating in Christ-Centered activity in our backyard, our nation, and our world.
- Life … Given that Jesus is the Author, Initiator, and Sustainer of it, we (His followers) should value and protect life in every facet of our world. This means that we intentionally carry out a culture of life rather than a culture of death, in our hearts, words, and actions. This goes far beyond Sunday morning rhetoric; the Life of Christ pierces the depths of our inner lives such that we are able to sustain a counter-cultural lifestyle.
- Family … When we look back to our origins, we find that the family was the first institution that God created for the purpose of carrying out His agenda on the earth. As such, the Biblical design for marriage and family should championed and upheld by those who are called by His name. Furthermore, we see that the Church at large is a family of families, and that our church ought to model a healthy family in every way.
- Sending … After His resurrection, Christ commissioned the Church and sent them out with His authority to be His co-laborers, joining in the Kingdom business in every sphere of life. We highly value being “sent” by Jesus and look for opportunities to join in this, as He leads for His glory – not just in “religious matters” but into every sphere of life and society.
- Presence … When God delivered His people from slavery in Egypt, Moses told the Lord that he had no interest in going to the promised land if God didn’t go with them. The presence of God with His people was a demonstration of His goodness, His grace and His favor. We recognize that God is among us, speaking and working. As we gather in His name, we look for opportunities to give Him space to have His way.
- Transformation … God is in the business of making all things new. The redemption that Christ secured was the beginning of a restorative process that continues today in each and every man, woman, and child who calls on Him as Savior and Lord. But, this transformation is not meant to stop at the outer shell of our heart, soul, and mind. Rather, it is meant to transform our relationships, our communities, even the world.